Your Device Is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes
“Your device is missing important security and quality fixes” is a popular error message in Windows 10. Thousands of worldwide users have stumbled upon this problem while using their PC. It is also known as error code 0x80073712 in technical speaking.
Are you facing the same problem as well? Well, if yes, then don’t panic as I can help you in fixing it. I have years of experience in troubleshooting computer technical issues. In my view, there are several easy solutions to this problem. In this article, I will show a step-by-step troubleshooting guide to solve this error.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s dive in.
What Cause Your Device is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes Error
On Windows 10 computers, users encounter it when they try to update Windows. When the Windows Update service’s internal files are corrupted or damaged due to some reasons, it stops Windows Update from working correctly. As a result, you see this error message on your screen. It prevents users from running and installing updates to the operating system.
There are numerous solutions on the internet that assures to fix the error code 0x80073712, but none of them works as claimed by the author. Gladly, when I analyzed this problem, I was able to solve it successfully. Therefore, I am here to help you out. Just keep on reading, and you will be able to troubleshoot this problem permanently.
How to Fix Error 0x80073712?
Fix 1: Resetting Windows Update Service
This is one of the most effective solutions to fix this Windows Update error. Just follow the instructions that we have given down here to troubleshoot this issue:
- First and foremost, please open Command Prompt on your computer with administrator privileges. To do so, hit the Windows key to open Start Menu, input “cmd,” right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
- When it appears on your screen, type “net stop wuauserv” and then press the Enter key.
- Then input “net stop cryptSvc” and strike the Enter key again.
- Put in “net stop bits” and hit Enter.
- Now, enter “net stop msiserver” and again press the Enter button on your keyboard.
- Now copy this “Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old” command to the clipboard and paste into the Command Prompt window.
- Then hit Enter.
- Next, please copy the “Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old” command and then paste it to the CMD window.
- After that, carefully enter the “net start wuauserv” command and press Enter.
- Then enter “net start cryptSvc” and hit Enter.
- Next, type “net start bits” and tap Enter.
- Finally, you need to write down “net start msiserver” and strike Enter.
- Once that done, please close CMD and reboot your device.
Congrats, you have reset the Windows Update service successfully. Hopefully, it should fix the “Your Device is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes” error. If it doesn’t fix your issue, then move to the next solution.
Fix 2: Using System File Checker to Repair Broken Windows Update Files
Read more: Fix Error status_invalid_image_hash
The common cause of this error is the bad update files that prevent Windows from updating. To solve this error, you should first configure the damaged system files linked with the update service. We are going to use the system file checker utility to do this. Here’s how to repair corrupt system files:
- First of all, launch the Command Prompt with admin authority, as shown in the first solution.
- Then enter “sfc /scannow” using your keyboard.
- Strike the Enter button.
- The System File Checker will start a scan to find and fix the broken files.
- Hold down while the process wraps up.
- Reboot the computer once the operation finishes.
- See if the error persists.
Fix 3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows 10 comes with a built-in Windows Update troubleshooter tool that can quickly fix common problems associated with the update service. It can also solve Your Device is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes problem. Therefore, you should follow the commands given down here to eliminate this bug:
- Please press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard at the same time to open Settings.
- In the Settings, find and select the Update & Security tile.
- Go to Troubleshoot via the left-side navigation bar.
- Click on Windows Update.
- Then select Run the troubleshooter.
- Let it detect the issues.
- It might take several minutes to complete, so wait patiently.
- Next, observe the result.
- If it suggests several practical methods to fix the problem, then please pursue them.
- See if the error code 0x80073712 persists or not.
Fix 4: Manually Reinstall Failed Updates
If you cannot update Windows even after applying these solutions, you will need to find the failed updates and run them manually one by one. It might be a little hectic, but it shouldn’t take much time. Just grab a cup of coffee and abide by these instructions:
- Open Settings.
- Find your way to Update & Security.
- From the right side, select View update history.
- Tap on Uninstall Updates.
- Please select the most recent updates and remove them one-by-one.
- Once you have removed all failed updates, restart your computer.
After restarting your device, please run Windows Update once again and see whether you have solved the error message that says your device is missing important security and quality fixes. I hope this article helped you in solving this issue.