Meta description refers to the information that appears just below the title of your website content. While a Meta description doesn’t always have an effect on your search results on SERP, it determines to a greater extent whether or not the user will be clicking on the page. The required standard is that a Meta description should not be more than 155 characters and 120 characters for desktop and mobile search respectively.
Search engines override meta-description pages and this is because Google is perceived to believe that the description tag which you have provided fully answers the questions that the users have and uses some text from that particular web content instead of a page that is thought to be of more accuracy and which offers an engaging response to the search.
This can be frustrating, especially if you have put in lots of effort to craft the best description for each of your website pages. SEO experts suggest that you leave the description of your pages and let the search engines choose what to use in some cases. However, it’s suggested that you write a short summary about what your page is about rather than letting Google crop your web page and show what they consider to be worth showing.
- A Meta description plays a huge role in SEO. It assists the readers to comprehend what content is available to your website, and also lets the search engines scan your content and understand them.
- A Meta description provides you with a unique opportunity to increase your click through rate as well as the traffic volumes that you get from your website.
- The description tag is indeed a signal that helps the user to understand what the content in the website is all about; a may help to push the users into clicking the universal resource locator that leads them to your content.
- A perfectly crafted Meta-description provides you with an opportunity to create an impression. Ensure that it can describe your content, and also ensure that you make it 120 characters long for mobile search and 155 characters for those who are using personal computers for their searches.
- Make sure that you keep to the recommended length. It should be not more than 120 characters for mobile search and around 155 characters for computer search.
- Make sure that you are using Meta descriptions in your title alas this helps to make your content more clickable.
- Make sure that every new page or content has a unique Meta description. Other than being unique, the description should be relevant to your content.
- Include a powerful call to action.
A Meta description is important for every page and optimizing it properly is crucial as it’s an important element of your on-page SEO. Although it doesn’t work or contribute to Google ranking process, it’s a bridge to helping you get more click-through and will also ensure better user experience.