Ah, SEO – the bane of the lives of many, yet so vitally important for the success of any website. Poor SEO can have disastrous effects on your rankings, and it’s essential to keep an eye out for common problems. To help you out, we’ve compiled the top SEO issues that can hurt your rankings and how to fix them. Contact an SEO expert if you don’t want to mess around with these sorts of things yourself!
- Thin Content: Content is key when it comes to SEO, and pages with thin content (less than 300 words) can negatively affect your rankings. To fix this issue, add more content to the page and make sure it’s relevant and unique.
Although you might think ‘the more pages, the better’ when it comes to SEO, this isn’t always the case; if you have too many pages with thin content, it can hurt your rankings. Therefore, change your approach to quality over quantity this year.
- Duplicate Content: Copying content from another website can lead to a duplicate content penalty, which will hurt your rankings. To avoid this issue, always create unique content, and if you need to use content from another website, make sure you cite it correctly. As well as copying from other websites, you also shouldn’t copy from your own. Even if you want to portray similar information across several pages, make sure the text is slightly different on each page.
- Poor Keyword Research: Do your keyword research correctly and you’ll find yourself on the first page of Google in no time. Make sure you know what keywords your target audience is searching for, and then use those keywords throughout your content. Remember to sprinkle them naturally and avoid keyword stuffing at all costs.
- Poor UX Design: User experience design (UX) is a crucial part of SEO. If your website is difficult to navigate, people won’t stay on it for long, which isn’t good for your rankings. After all, we’ve all clicked away from websites with poor design. To fix this issue, make sure your website is easy to use and start incorporating UX design into your SEO strategy.
- Slow Page Load Times: Not only do slow loading times irritate visitors, but they can also hurt your rankings. To check your website speed, use tools such as GTMetrix and Google PageSpeed to find out what is slowing down your site. Then, start making the necessary changes to boost your site speed.
- Lack of Meta Tags and Descriptions: Metadata plays an important role in SEO, as it’s used to tell search engines what your page is about. To make sure your metadata is up to date, check that all your pages have meta tags and descriptions – if they don’t, add them. Keep in mind that these descriptions should be unique and keyword-rich.
By taking the time to address each one of these issues, you can help your website achieve better rankings. Start by taking a look at your website and identifying any areas that need improvement. Remember, SEO services exist to help in this arena. So, don’t be afraid to reach out for an audit if you’re having trouble. During a typical website audit, experts will check for any issues and recommend changes to help your website climb the ranking ladder.
It might seem like a lot of work, but by taking care of the top SEO issues, you’ll be rewarded with higher rankings. And that’s worth the effort!