The first step to increasing your salary as a QA analyst is understanding your worth and the value you bring to your company and team members. This can be challenging, but you must know where you stand in the industry before trying to increase your salary.
Use this 7-step guide to help you determine your rate and how to ask for it!
The Steps to Increasing Your Salary as a QA
Below are the wonderful ways to increase your salary as QA:
1. Join a Products-based Company Instead of a Services-based Company
Working in the software industry has its perks, but it can also be much more difficult than working in other industries.
There are two different types of companies you can work for, products-based and services-based.
Products-based companies offer a higher initial package than service-based companies, that’s why it’s the best option if you want to increase your salary exponentially. Additionally, in product companies, you get to take care of more responsibilities. This gives you the chance to learn more skills, thus adding to your value as a tester and increasing the chances of getting a better salary.
Services-based companies offer fewer packages than products-based ones. Another factor to be considered is that with services-based companies, you’ll never know how many hours you’ll work each week or how much money you’ll make per hour.
2. Take More Responsibility
Taking on more responsibility shows your employer you’re capable and hardworking. It will help with career growth and may increase your manager’s chances of putting you forward for a promotion or pay rise.
3. Continue to add skills in Testing.
If you are a performance tester, try to add more skills by learning automation testing, API testing, Selenium, etc. Your pay will skyrocket when you become an expert in quality assurance and develop more skills as a tester.
4. Don’t Stop Learning
You may think your salary is set in stone and cannot be changed, but this is not the case. There are many ways for you to increase your salary as a QA, so continue learning. You can take advantage of your weekends on weekdays by working on your projects. Remember if there is no learning, there is no growth.
Enhance your skills so that they can add value to you. Learn about new technologies that can help you do your job better and keep up with the latest trends in the industry. Lastly, ensure you’re networking with people from all different fields with connections that could lead you somewhere professionally.
5. Getting out of your comfort zone
- Never settle. All your life, you’ve been told that if you try hard enough and do what you’re told, you’ll get what you want. But that’s only sometimes true, even if it feels like it should be. You need to force yourself out of your comfort zone to have a chance at being successful.
- Focus on getting better at something – You can’t increase your salary by sitting on the couch all day or complaining about how things are going for you. The best way to see positive changes in your life is through doing things that will improve your skillset. It will help grow your abilities exponentially over time.
6. Improve your Visibility
To increase your salary, it’s important to improve your visibility by doing something extra.
- Proactively communicate with your team and your stakeholders. It will help you make sure you know what the priorities are and will allow you to ask for more high-priority tasks or something extra that you can do.
- Give your 101% commitment. Most of the employees perform without enthusiasm or care for their work. Having a passion for what you do is the key to doing great work.
- Do something extra. Whether it’s following up on emails before they’re overdue, creating an Excel report for an upcoming meeting before anyone has asked, or checking with your colleagues at the end of each day to find out if there’s unfinished work – do something extra.
7. Always Meet Expectations with your Manager
It’s important to always meet your manager’s expectations. If you are consistently meeting expectations, they will likely promote you in the future.
- Be clear on what is expected of you: Make sure that it is clear what is expected from you by your superiors. Ask for help when needed and tell your boss when there are issues with the tasks.
- Take the initiative: Be accountable and take up the task if an opportunity arises that may help reach these goals.
- Never give up on yourself: Keep trying new methods even if one doesn’t work immediately because, eventually, it will!
And there you have it! The seven steps for increasing your salary exponentially as a quality assurance professional.
If you are looking for a reliable automation testing tool for your testing tasks, you need to try using TestGrid. It is a cloud-based automation testing solution for web, mobile, and desktop applications. TestGrid is a powerful testing tool that helps you automate your testing process in minutes. It provides a drag-and-drop interface and lets you record your tests without coding knowledge.
With this tool, you can create tests and execute them on any device or platform. It also provides a unified workspace for all your automated tests.